Chemotherapy Prep Technician Jobs Vacancy in Tennessee Oncology Nashville
Tennessee Oncology Nashville urgently required following position for Chemotherapy Prep Technician. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Chemotherapy Prep Technician Jobs Vacancy in Tennessee Oncology Nashville Jobs Details:
Responsibilities / Essential Functions: To safely and aseptically prepare chemotherapy and other medications for patients, manage the Nucleus system; maintain an accurate and organized record of all transactions occurring in the mixing room.
- The technician will be responsible for all duties of preparing and dispensing of medication.
- Mixes chemotherapy and biologics only within the biological safety cabinet (BSC) using proper aseptic technique.
- Follows clean room guidelines and accurately prepares IV solutions and other sterile products.
- Maintains accuracy in processing orders to ensure that all orders are processed and dispensed in a timely manner.
- Evaluates critical patient information prior to beginning admixture according to policy and procedure.
o Calculates cycle and day to ensure patient receiving on correct treatment day.
o Reviews and checks CBC results prior to pulling medications from Nucleus. Notifies RN if technician has questions regarding CBC values.
o Recalculates drug dose as a verifier.
o Calculates correct dosage volumes.
o Selects appropriate diluents.
- Mixes chemotherapy and other drugs accurately as ordered by physician using appropriate aseptic technique and following policies and procedures. All chemotherapy orders must be verified with a nurse.
o RN will verify the medication order, medication, dose, and amount of drug in syringe prior to adding to diluent and before distribution of any medication.
o After validation by RN has occurred, the medication will be placed in the diluent bag.
o The completed label will be appropriately affixed to the bag or syringe as appropriate.
o The technician will then initial the bag and distribute according to clinic guidelines.
- Dispense medications following the organization's policies and procedures. Places all medications in a transport bag for dispensing to the nursing staff.
- Prepares continuous infusion pumps setting the pumps according to physician orders.
- Maintains CADD pump log, cleaning of pump and cleaning of the pump pack for next use.
- Performs all daily and monthly Nucleus duties as outlined in the Nucleus policy and procedure manual.
- Inventories all medications at the end of each work day.
- Utilizes the Pharmacy Report to assist with maintaining appropriate 2 day level of target drugs for your clinic.
- Generates and reviews daily clinical reports and channels to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains all clinical logs.
- Assists the nursing staff, as necessary, with the stocking of supplies, clinic organization, clean-up, etc.
- Assists to provide orientation and training to newly hired pharmacy technicians.
- Keeps work area and equipment clean and neat.
- Aseptically cleans the BSC at the beginning and end of each shift, and in the event of a drug spill, according to policy and procedure.
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as outlined in the policy and procedure manual.
- Properly disposes all waste materials used when mixing chemo or non-chemo.
- Cleans BSC daily or as stated in policy and procedures.
- Knowledgeable about the appropriate use of PPE and chemotherapy spill kits in the event of a cytotoxic spill.
- Follows all safety standards for handling chemotherapy and hazardous drugs.
- Maintains current technician certification.
- Provides documentation of attendance of at least one seminar on aseptic preparation of parenteral products and on safe handling of cytotoxic drugs annually.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients and other employees.
- Ability to build rapport with patients to deliver exceptional direct patient care
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Must be patient service oriented
- Chemotherapy admixture experience preferred but not required.
- Must be willing and able to travel to satellite clinics when necessary.
- Floats to other clinics as needed.